I graduated from "Ecole Nationale Superieure d'Informatique
et Mathematiques Appliquees"
(ENSIMAG) in Grenoble, then got my PhD (1978) and "Doctorat d'Etat" (1984) degrees
both from Paul Sabatier University in Toulouse (France). I have been at LAAS-CNRS in Toulouse
since1980, where I am currently Directeur de Recherche. I am also a member of IMT,
the Institute of Mathematics of Toulouse. I was a one year visitor (1978-79 and 1985-86) at the
Electrical Engineering Dept. of the University of California at Berkeley with a fellowship from
INRIA and NSF. I have done several one-month visits to Stanford University (Stanford, California),
the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT, Cambridge), the Mathematical Sciences Research
Institute (MSRI, Berkeley), the Fields Institute (Fields, Toronto), the Institute for Mathematics and its
Applications (IMA, Minneapolis), the Institute for Pure and Applied Mathematics (IPAM, UCLA), Cinvestav-IPN (Cinvestav, Mexico), Leiden University (Leiden, The Netherlands), the Tinbergen Institute (Tinbergen, Amsterdam, The Netherlands), the University of Adelaide (Adelaide, Australia), the University of South Australia (UniSA, Adelaide), the University of New South wales (UNSW, Sydney), the University of British Columbia (UBC, Vancouver).
I wrote about 160 papers and authored or co-authored the eight books:
- ``An Integrated Approach in Production Planning and Scheduling", Lecture Notes in Economics and Mathematical Systems, Springer, Berlin 1994
- ``Markov Control Processes: Basic Optimality Criteria", Springer, New York, 1996
- ``Further Topics in Markov Control Processes", Springer, New York, 1999,
- ``Markov Chains and Invariant Probabilities", Birkhauser, 2003.
- ``Linear & Integer Programming vs Linear Integration and Counting", Springer, New York, 2009.
- ``Moments, Positive Polynomials and Their Applications", Imperial College Press, London, 2009
- ``Modern Optimization Modelling Techniques", Springer, New York, 2012
- ``An Introduction to Polynomial and Semi-Algebraic Optimization", Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2015
I have also co-edited the books:
- ``Geometric and Numerical Foundations of Movements", Springer Tracts in Advanced Robotics, New York, 2017 (with J-P. Laumond and N. Mansard)
- ``Handbook of Semidefinite, Conic and Polynomial Optimization", Springer, New York, 2011 (with M. Anjos)
- ``Markov Decision Processes: Part I and II", J.C. Baltzer AG, Scientific Publishing Company, Basel, 1991 (with O. Hernandez-Lerma)
Awards & Distinctions:
2018 Invited Speaker at the International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM 2018), Rio de Janeiro, August 2018: Section 16: Control Theory & Optimization.
2015 John von Neumann Theory prize of the INFORMS society.
2015 Khachiyan prize of the Optimization Society of INFORMS.
2009 Lagrange prize in Continuous optimization (awarded jointly every 3 years by SIAM and the Mathematical Optimization Society).
SIAM Fellow (class 2014)
2014 Laureate of an ERC-Advanced Grant from the European Research Council (ERC) for the TAMING project.
More detailed CV