|Karama Kanoun is Directeur de Recherche at LAAS-CNRS, heading the Dependable Computing and Fault Tolerance Research Group, since 2008.
She received the Certified Engineer degree from National School of
Civil Aviation, Toulouse, the Doctor-Engineer and the
Doctor-ès-Science degrees from the National Polytechnique
Institute, Toulouse. She was Visiting Professor at the University of
Illinois, Urbana Champaign, USA the first semester of 1998.
Her research interests include modelling and evaluation of computer system dependability considering hardware as well as software, and dependability benchmarking. She has authored or co-authored more than 150 conference and journal papers, 5 books and 10 book chapters (among which two chapters in Handbook of Software Reliability Engineering, edited by Michael Lyu). She has co-directed the production of a book on Dependability Benchmarking for Computer Systems, published jointly by IEEE Computer Society and Wiley, August 2008.
InvolvementsShe is vice-chairperson of the International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP) working group 10.4 on Dependable Computing and Fault Tolerance.
She is Chairperson of:
- the Special Interest Group on Dependability Benchmarking (SIGDeB) of the IFIP working group 10.4,
- the French SEE (Société de l'Electricite, de l'Electronique et des Technologies de l'Information et des Communications) Technical Committee on Trustworthy Computer Systems (Club Systèmes Informatiques de Confiance).
- the SEE Working Group "Design and Validation for Dependability".
She was the principal investigator of the DBench European project (Dependability Benchmarking). DBench has been selected as part of ICT Results (an editorial service offering news and views on innovations, emerging from EU-funded research in information and communications technology; only a few distinguished projects have a web page on ICT Results). She is responsible of the integration and management of the ReSIST European Network of Excellence (Resilience for Survivability in Information Society Technologies).
She has been a consultant for several French companies (among which Renault-Automation, Merlin-Gerin, CEIS-Espace, SYSECA, Aérospatiale, SAGEM, CNES, Alcatel Espace, STNA, MAP Système), the European Space Agency, Ansaldo Transporti and for the International Union of Telecommunications. She has been involved in more than 20 national research contracts (with Aerospatiale, Bull, EADS, EDF, CNES, CENA) and European projects (among which DSOS, DeVA, CRUTIAL and HiDENETS).
ConferencesShe is chairing the Steering Committee of EDCC, The European Dependable Computing Conference.
She is member of the Steering Committees of:
- ISSRE (the IEEE International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering),
- DSN (the IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks)
- SSIRI (the IEEE International Conference on Secure Software Integration and Reliability improvement).
She has served as Program Committee Co-Chair of:
- 28th Annual International Computer Software and Application Conference, COMPSAC 2004, Hong Kong
- International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks, DSN-2000, , New York, NJ, USA
- 5th IEEE Intern. Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering, ISSRE 1994, Monterey, CA, USA
- 4th European Workshop on Dependable Computing, EWDC 1992, Prague, Czechslovakia
She has served as General Chair of:
- 18th International Conference on Computer Safety, reliability and Security, Safecomp'99, Toulouse, 1999.
- 6th IEEE International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering, Toulouse, 1995.
- 2nd International Conference on Reliability, Maintainability and Safety, Beijing, China, 1994.
She has served several times in the Program Committees of FTCS and IPDS (that have been grouped together into DSN in 2000), HASE, ICCCN, ISSRE, COMPSAC, PNPM, Safecomp conferences, and the French Congress on Dependability and Risk Mastering (Maîtrise des Risques et de la Sûreté de Fonctionnement). Besides she acts as a referee for several international conferences and journals.
Journal Editorial BoardsKarama Kanoun is member of the Editorial Board of:
- IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, since January 2008
- International Journal of Performability Engineering, since September 2006
- Revue de l'électrité et de l'électronique, since November 2005
- International Journal of Critical Computer-Based Systems, since June 2008
- International Journal of Discrete Event Control Systems, since January 2010
She was Associate Editor of:
- IEEE Transactions on Reliability (1998-2005)
- IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (2004-2008)
She was guest co-editor of the following Special Issues:
- IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Special Section on Evaluation and Improvement of Software Dependability, May/June 2010.
- Software: Practice and Experience, 2006, including a section of related extended re-referred papers from COMPSAC 2004
- Reliability Engineering and System Safety Journal, 2001, gathering selected extended re-referred papers from Safecomp 1999
- IEEE Transactions on Computers, on Dependability of Computing Systems, January 1998,
AwardIEEE Computer Society Golden Core Member since 2010.
("distinguished core of dedicated volunteers and staff whose leadership and service have made the IEEE Computer Society the world's preeminent association of computing professionals")
PublicationsFor a list of publications since 1990, see LAAS server